Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Luke's Lead Foot

Luke came home from work very upset last week as he received his first ever speedning ticket! He has had a perfect record until now so I had to welcome him to the speeders club. I wanted to throw a party and put up speed limit signs everywhere with big red X marks through them, but he didn't think it was that funny. I offered to bake him a cake saying welcome to speeders annonymous... but he didn't think that was funny either...

As I teased him it made me remember my first ticket. I was a missionary in Rapid City. My companion and I (Brownie!) were on our way home from zone conference-- of all places-- and got caught in a speed trap. The officer never got out of his car, but instead made me come sit in his (awkward!). He proceeded to write me out a ticket and said if it had not been for the speed trap set up he would let me go, but would have to write me a ticket now. I handed him my Nevada drivers license and he was confused since I was driving a car with SD plates. I explained that I was a missionary (hoping he would let me go already) and he said then I should be a better example of someone obeying the laws of the land! So I got my first ever ticket and was not allowed to drive for the remaining half of my mission! When we got back to the trailer (yes, thats right I said trailer) I had to call president and tell him. I told him I got a ticket on the way home and he said "Sister Freitag, it's not that long of a drive!" Our mission was so big we had elders driving 4 hours to come to the conference, and I lived 30 minutes away! At least the experience added some good pictures to my missionary scrapbook...and the original ticket for all my posterity to see lol

As I shared that story with Luke he cheered up. I couldn't be mad at him... when I moved here last year I got two in one week... okay it was more like two in two days... But I have learned my lesson to slow down and I think he will now too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember our FUN speeding ticket?? In our Crazy trip from Vegas to Utah and back to Vegas!!! Good Times Good times!!! =)

Kelly said...

Remember that I went over 100 at 3am and you were the one that got caught while listening to conference on the radio? lol