Thursday, May 10, 2012

Recap

I spent the past weekend in Las Vegas visiting my family, and while there I had it pointed our to me I hadn't done very well at keeping up my blog. So, I decided to post an update about our little family over the last 7 months!

The holidays were a busy time for us, and not just in usual holiday manner! In November we found out we are expecting baby Rasmussen number 2! We are so excited for this new addition to our family, though it will be a whole new experience as we learn how to raise a baby girl. Luke tells everyone he is honored to become a daddy to a girl. She is scheduled to arrive in early July and her name will be Ella Rae. Logan talks about baby Ella all the time, and I think he will be a great big brother!

December brought on quite a few surprises as well. We had been struggling a lot with the family we were living with and tending for, and felt that the relationship with the parents was getting more strained by the day. Plus, knowing I was pregnant with what would be the sixth child I cared for was a bit overwhelming. Luke and I had been looking to move and were trying to find the perfect spot, when after a falling out, the father of the family we lived with told us we needed to leave. I won't go into too much detail as I am still healing from things that were said both to me and about me, but it was not a good situation. Luke's parents came over that night to help us start packing and we were out the next day. The only problem was we didn't have a place lined up yet, so we packed all our things up on Luke's dad's trailer and stored it at their house where we stayed for two weeks before finding our own place. Did I mention this all happened about two weeks before Christmas? On December 23, we moved into a tiny two bed apartment in Millcreek, and on Christmas Eve we left for Vegas to celebrate with my family. Upon returning, we had a lot of work to do to get settled. During all this transitional phase, Luke had started a new job at the Grand America hotel in their security department, and was not around much to help me settle in and unpack. His mom was good about coming over and helping both with unpacking and entertaining Logan while I worked on things, and eventually we got more comfortable.

January brought on exciting times. It was a new year, we were expecting a new baby, living in a new place, Luke had a new job, and tax season began which meant I officially started my new job doing customer service for a tax prep company as well. Luckily, my job was part time from home and all on the computer so I could still be with my little man. I had my second OB appointment for the baby and no surprise from all of the events going on in our life I had actually lost weight through the holiday season. When we told the nurse about things that had been going on she instantly checked my blood pressure and was surprised it wasn't sky high! January also brought on a milestone for me as I hit the big 3-0! Getting out of a bad situation in that basement was a good enough present for me, but we celebrated with dinner and a movie and a family surprise party after. I am really looking forward to all the changes this year and think the 30's will bring some good memories!

February brought on more fun times. With our tax return we were able to buy a car! We had been borrowing one from Luke's parents for about 6 months, but now we are the OWNERS of a 2000 VW Golf, which we love! It's been a great little car for our family, and we plan on getting lots of good use out of it! The car only had 75000 miles on it when we bought it, and has a sunroof, heated seats, keyless entry, and is just fun to drive!

Luke also lost his job in February at the Grand America. (I know, that didn't last long!) Things were just not working out there, and he didn't enjoy it. Luckily, I was working, and he still had his part time job at Enterprise. Before he even qualified for unemployment insurance, he was offered another security position with a company called Guardsmark. The job came with crazy hours and LOTS of paperwork and background checks, but paid more, and he will be eligible for insurance before the baby is born. We are amazed at the way blessings come into our life!

Luke and I were also called to teach the 8 year old primary class in our new ward. It proved to be tough with his new schedule at work, and our very active and disruptive class, but we welcomed the new challenge. Logan also started nursery this month, and he LOVES it! The first week he ran into play without looking back or letting me say goodbye! The last couple weeks he has began to recognize his leaders during sacrament and gets so excited! He ran to me a couple weeks ago when I picked him up and said "Nursery FUN!" I am so glad he loves it as it makes it easier to leave him!

March and April flew by. April found us celebrating our 3 year anniversary which to us feels a lot longer (in a good way!) Luke is still enjoying his security job, and my job ended at the end of tax season in April. Now I get six months off to enjoy my babies, and get into a new routine with two kids before coming back on in November. Logan has been our angel through all of this and every day he makes me smile. He is growing like a weed, and will turn two a few weeks after the baby is born. He got his first haircut this week at 20 months and he looks like a little man!

Logan and I got to spend the last weekend in Vegas with my parents while Luke worked the weekend. I needed an escape before the new baby is born, and Logan got to play "shadow" with papa Freitag! I don't know who loved it more, but we all had a good time. We got to have a BBQ with Lauren and her cute family, and go to the temple with Leslie, do a family sealing with Lauren and Garn, go to hear papa's band play, take my mom to dinner for mother's day, and meet up with a friend of mine from my singles ward days! We had a good time, and were sad to leave, but glad to get home as well.

That's our life in a nutshell over the last few months. There have been hard times, but I know Heavenly Father is blessing us so much! I will try to do better at posting updates on our busy life, and next time post some updated pictures!

2 comments:

Todd and Heather Moulton said...

What an update! I didn't get nearly that much from our short visit in the hallway. I hope you didn't feel badly about your blog, I just meant I got news about your from your dad since it wasn't updated. You sure have been busy! Good luck with the last bit of pregnancy. It was great to see ya!

Theresa said...

Hey Kelly! Congrats on Number 2! I just wanted to drop a note. If your hubby I just blanked on his name,. sorry if he is interested in security you might look into doing security at the church. jobs.lds.org. i don't know if they have any openings right now but I cant think of a better employer personally. Goodluck. it sounds like things are going well for you guys (after horrible basement experience). Glad you're out of that. Love ya! take care!