To all of you who have been waiting to hear about my vacation, I am finally getting around to blogging about it!
I was able to spend five wonderful days in North and South Carolina with a family I taught on my mission. They left Fargo in July of 2004 to move to Charlotte, NC and I had not seen them since, so it was about time!! We had a great time, but here are some highlights....
Friday, the girls drove down to Charleston, SC. We stayed on Folly Island at a hotel that literally opened up to the beach!! What a beautiful view we had from our 9th story hotel room, and how great it was to wake up and look out the window to see the tide rolling in. Friday night when we got there we walked around all the little beach shops and explored. Raelyn and I even walked on the beach in the rain for about an hour. Saturday morning we got up and went parasailing over the island. Honestly, not quite the rush I thought it would be, but it was beautiful. We were in the air about 30 minutes, 500 feet up! Tanya sat in the boat nervous the whole time we were in the air! And--BONUS--this helps me cross off another item on my list of things to do before I die! (Actually 2 things--visiting the South was on there as well!!)
Anyone who knows me well knows, I love signs, now i can say I have LITERALLY been to the edge of America... and I have documentation!! Tanya & I
Raelyn & I
Raelyn in front of our hotel...
The view of the beautiful pier from our room

Raelyn & I before Para-sailing
I have to admit, I was a little bit nervous!
The shute...
The take-off


up, up and away...

still going...


After our parasailing adventure, we drove back into the city and saw some of historical Charleston via horse and buggy tour! We learned lots of random facts... the first GOLF club was created in Chalestown, and Golf stood for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.
Also, at this period in time the houses had separate kitchen houses since they were the cause of many fires. While the kitchen staff would carry food from the kitchen to the main house, the dogs would be at their heels barking for food. So the servants created "hush puppies"-- balls of hot dough they would throw to the dogs so they would burn their mouths--literally Hushing the Puppies!
My next house...just waiting for me to buy it!

Pineapple are supposed to be a welcoming sign inviting visitors to the home. Also a sign of the return of a husband whose wife has had many suitors in his absence warning them the man of the house is home! This house either had a very promiscuous woman, or was just a friendly family!
We also made a visit to the infamous (at least at my house) Piggly Wiggly... yup thats right folks... it does exist! and i have pictures and a T shirt to prove it ha ha!
Me & Raelyn's double date with Ben & Jerry
Again with the signs... This one I couldn't resist- The King meets his Princess and leads her to Majestic Square!!
Sunday morning we all went to church together. Let me just tell you what a big deal this was. When I taught this family four years ago, they all listened to the discussions, but Raelyn was the only one who ever got baptized. The family is wonderful and supports her completely, but are still not members. However, John (the dad) promised me that when I came to visit them he would go to church. So, four years later--I cashed in on that promise. This was an event that had never happened before, and was great to be a part of! The ward was great about welcoming them, and had to tell them how great Raelyn is (as if we didn't already know!!) John and I had a long discussion that night about the church, and they even invited the missionaries over for dinner that night! They invited the family to take the lessons again, and John said they would talk about it. The family has come a long way, and I know someday they will accept the gospel. I love them so much, and am so grateful for the example Raelyn is to them--and me. I was reminded how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to have served a mission and met wonderful people such as the Jehliks, and am thankful for their continued friendship!! Now it is their turn to come to Vegas--and Raelyn and I will go sky diving!
Raelyn & I after church
Raelyn, Tanya, John, John Michael & Pepper (the dog!)




4 comments:
Looks like you had fun. Wish we could have seen you. Next time plan a longer layover!! :)
I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Glad to see you having lots of fun adventures! :-)
Hey there Kelly!! It has been a long time but it looks like you are having fun like always. Vacations are the BEST!!
WHOA!!! CRAZY CHICKA...... I hope you ate some Bojangles while you were out there.... mmmm, chicken.... :)
Post a Comment