Monday morning came way too fast and I was TIRED. I had been out of town for two weekends in a row with quite a few late nights. The day was like any other Monday--BUSY!! The girls at the office did manage to pull me away for an hour or so to take me to lunch for my birthday. We ate at Macaroni Grill and they give you Orchids and sing to you in Italian for your birthday. That was a highlight of the workday (and I got to brag to Luke that I got flowers from another man ha ha...) I was ready to go home at 9 am! Customers were grouchy, and I was still disappointed about Luke not popping the question over our perfect weekend in Vegas. He and I text a few times throughout the day, but I was so tired and worn out I thought about asking him if maybe we could just go out on Tuesday, or just watch a movie at my place so I could be in Jammies. I really didn't want to do anything.
He called that night when I got home from work, and asked about my day and if he could pick me up at seven. I still had hopes about the movie and hanging out, but after we hung up he called back two seconds later to ask if I remembered what I had said about him asking my dad--awhile ago I had mentioned he needed to give me some kind of hint when he was going to propose so I would look cute that day-- so he told me from now on I better be glammed up! This slashed all hopes of hanging out with jammies and a movie! I quickly got in the shower and cleaned up, and he arrived promptly at seven--something that almost never happens!
Usually when he picks me up for dates we will hang out at the house for a little while, in no hurry to get anywhere, but tonight was different. He was nervous, and in a hurry. I asked where we were going and he said I would see when we got there. So we drove heading toward downtown Salt Lake. I could tell he was nervous because he wasn't really talking in the car, and had road rage. After we got off the freeway he randomly said "I am a 9.5" I was confused and he clarified by saying "ring size" (a few days before I told him I needed to know his size so I could look for a band too. He didn't know and told me he needed to be measured) I shouted "You got measured!!" Still trying not to get too excited after the disappointment of the weekend, I tried to convince myself that just because he had been shopping didn't mean he had a ring.
At this point we were driving behind the capital building and there are some gorgeous homes up there! I was enjoying the views if nothing else because he couldn't find the road we wanted. We tried putting it in the GPS, but that was no help. Finally we pulled up at this lookout that overlooks the temple and the capital building. We got out and he said "I know it's not the lights of Vegas, but I wanted you to se OUR city" We got out of the car and he was pointing things out when another car pulled up behind us and another couple got out and came right next to us. Luke muttered under his breath "you've got to be kidding me!" and told me to come to another spot on the hill to see something else. It was so cold outside that my knees were shaking, and he asked if I was weak at the knees to which I replied that I was, and he said Me too! The next thing I knew he was going down on one knee and pulling out a jewelry box from his coat pocket. As he opened the box he said "Kelly Rae Freitag, Will you marry me?" I jumped on him before I even looked at the ring screaming the whole time!! Once I calmed down he said "did you even see the ring?" ha ha I hadn't even looked I was so excited! (He was nervous I wouldn't like it since I had refused to go ring shopping with him! This was one thing I wanted to be surprised with, and I must say he did a GREAT job. I love it because it is a different setting that not everyone has)
The REAL proposal spot (the picture doesn't do it justice)
Later, I found out this is the spot in the Singles Ward Movie where after the dance they are overlooking the temple ha ha we got engaged on a movie scene :)
Our first picture as an engaged couple!
the AWESOME ring!!
After the proposal my day had totally been turned around! bad mood? gone. wanting to spend the night in jammies--no longer. I now wanted to call everyone I knew, but I started with my parents while we drove to Madeline's for dinner-- a very nice steakhouse in Salt Lake. We actually got there right as they were closing. The hostess asked if we were celebrating a special occasion and when she found out we had just gotten engaged she sat us immediately! Even though they were supposed to be closing, the staff pampered us, wanted to look at the ring and take pictures for us--we were the only ones in the restaurant and we had their whole attention!
Though I had in my mind the idea of a perfect proposal in vegas, this was even better! He turned around my bad day completely, and it was unexpected. I am so excited to have him in my life! We will be married in the Las Vegas temple on Saturday, April 11 and I can hardly wait to be Kelly Rae Rasmussen!



5 comments:
Hey Kelly! Congratulations doesn't even cover how excited I am for you! You definitely deserve this happiness! Can't wait to meet you special man! Love ya tons girly!
That is an awesome story! Your ring is beautiful and your smile says it all!
yay! will you have a Utah reception? I really wish I could go down for the wedding in vegas but I just don't know if I will make it or not,...If you're not having one up here I will have to consider it more seriously.
Congratulations to both of you! That's great news and it seems like you guys make a wonderful couple! That's cool that you're getting married in Las Vegas. That temple sure holds a special place in my heart. Congrats again!
YAY! Love the ring & the story!
Post a Comment