Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hey baby, Let's go to Vegas


Luke had never been to Vegas, so for my birthday we planned a trip and stayed with my family. It was a weekend full of firsts!! I grew up in Vegas, but I love playing tour guide to new people! Saturday morning we went up to Red Rock and went hiking. The weather was so beautiful we were wishing we were in shorts! We had to make a stop at In-n-Out for lunch since we don't have it in Utah.



Later that afternoon we met my family. Luke and I have been talking about getting married for a few weeks now, and one of the purposes of the trip was to head down so he could ask my dad. Let's not kid ourselves though, as soon as I told my family we started planning! The cake, flowers, announcements, dresses had all been discussed at this point--dad had even set up the date at the temple for us!!--all that was missing was a ring and a question! We met the family at the bridal store where I had been debating between two dresses. As I tried them on for my mom and all three of my sisters, Luke went down to the Bookstore with my dad to ask him for his blessing on our marriage. When we were finished Lauren and Garn went to check and make sure dad hadn't picked on him too much, only to find Luke hadn't asked yet. So we tried on more dresses (which I found the PERFECT one!!) When we finally met them Luke looked scared to death and I couldn't wait to ask him what happened! We were all heading to CPK for my birthday dinner, and I couldn't wait to get him alone in the car to hear the story! Dad needs to give me his version still, but the story I got was that they were talking about books and when Lauren came in he hadn't asked yet so my dad told him "I know why you're here, and the answer is YES!" I for one was shocked to hear this--the weekend before when I was in town dad had laid out a list of questions he was going to ask his future son-in-law. Luke got off easily, and was very relieved!


Jaman attacked me at the bridal store
That being out of the way, I thought for sure this was the night he would officially ask me too. We went back to my parents after dinner for cake and ice cream, and I ran upstairs to "freshen up" before taking him to the strip for his first time. When I came downstairs my sisters and him were whispering at the kitchen table and I was told to go back upstairs! This made me even more suspicious. I insisted that I drive downtown so he could see everything, and on the way he told me he didn't want me to be disappointed, but that he didn't have a ring. He likes to tease me sometimes when he is trying to surprise me so I still had hopes that maybe it was coming tonight. I took him to some of my favorite places--the Bellagio gardens and fountain show, the Paris, we even took pictures like tacky tourists at the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign before going to the Stratosphere. We went up the tower and decided to ride the BIG SHOT in commemoration of our BIG year, and walked around the whole tower observation deck for a long time after. Still no question.

Possible Proposal spot 1
Possible (Touristy) Proposal spot 2
some random girl walked by and saw us standing together and asked if she could take our picture because we were cute. Bellagio Gardens? Possible Proposal spot 3

Top of the Stratosphere--Possible Proposal spot 4
We got back to the casino, and Luke had never gambled before either so I had to corrupt him a little. We played the Wheel of Fortune slots and won a whole quarter! Woo-hoo! We got back to my parents house about 130am and stll no question. Though I had an awesome time I was disappointed and finally realized he was serious about not having a ring.



The next morning was my birthday and my mom spoiled me by making Belgian Waffles--my favorite!! We went to the family ward with my parents where everyone was dying to meet the new addition with the Freitag clan. We had all four of us girls there, and neither Melissa or Lauren had their husbands with them, but there Luke and I sat together. I had to introduce him only as my boyfriend since nothing was official yet--even though so much had already been planned. Dad beamed as he told everyone the reason we were there was to ask a very important question. That afternoon we drove back to Utah, and were sad to leave the warmth of Vegas. It was a great weekend with the family and so fun to celebrate my birthday with them. This was the first time the four of us girls had been all together in a year. But, I was left waiting for a question...

3 comments:

Theresa said...

wow you really built up the whole proposal in vegas thing didn't you. Sometime I'll have to tell you my proposal story. ,... anyway,.. when dan asked my dad for permission we were all down for thanksgiving and we went ring shopping together and I finished dress shopping. We'd made plans, but I knew he wasn't going to ask me when we only just went ring shopping so I wasn't expecting it then. When we went home for christmas is when I was antsy about when it would happen and I was disappointed he didn't do it before we left vegas either,.. but He still found a way to surprise me so it was good. I'll have to tell you the story sometime.

Theresa said...

ok,.. there's not much more to the story so I'll just tell you. I was disappointed because we had to go to my home ward's christmas party and I was hoping I could show off my ring at church before we went up to michigan so then he didn't propose I was bummed. Then we spent 2 days at disneyland with my family and went to michigan. Well I thought he would just wait until Michigan to propose but he ended up proposing while we were at disneyland which was great because then my family got to be there and be in on the secret plans so while I was disappointed, he made up for it by still making sure that some of my family was there to celebrate. :) that was all. not much to the story,... I love how he showed you "your city" when he proposed that is so cute. :)

Theresa said...

oh and we actually got into a fight the day before Dan proposed because he was really nervous about it and I made some off hand comment about "liking" his hair even though he was fretting about looking good and everything and he was upset thinking that I only "liked" him when he was about to propose.. haha. I shouldn't laugh because he was really concerned and I was really upset over it too but i've always thought it was an interesting fight and had a lot to do with pre-proposal nerves. They are fun. :)