Sunday, May 3, 2009

Best Day of My Life

As Luke and I drove down to Vegas for our wedding we heard the same song on the radio a few times, and the same song was stuck in my head as we went to the temple for our big day. I don't remember who it is by, but it is an old country song and the chorus goes "Dad, this could be the best day of my life..." That was going through my head as we entered the Vegas temple! Our day couldn't have been any better. We had almost my mom's whole side of the family there in the temple with as as well as all of Luke's brothers and his parents. The only thing I would have changed is to have had Leslie in there with us as well! As we looked at each other over the altar I couldn't help tearing up over the love I was feeling--it was like there wasn't anyone in the room but us! I can't imagine having been married anywhere else.

our first moments outside the temple




isn't our photographer amazing? this looks like a fairy tale ending to me!



Our reception was SO fun as we were joined by friends and family, and of course by my dad's band! Live music made everything more fun!


We danced and sang and had a cake fight! I swore I wasn't going to do that and we were so nice... until someone shouted "Kelly Freitag, I expected you to be meaner than that!" so... always ready for a challenge, I shoved cake a little harder at my unexpecting husband and smeared frosting all across his face! We struggled a little and then he got me back.











Our first dance as a married couple was to "You had me from Hello" by Kenny Chesney. The first time we heard this song together we knew it was for us. Part of the song says "Inside I built a wall, so high around my heart thought I'd never fall, One touch, you brought it down, the bricks of my defenses scattered all around, I swore to me I would never love again, the last time was the last time I let someone in, but you had me from hello" We have both had bad relationships in the past and had both said we would never fall in love and then we found each other, and things just fell into place.
 






Next I danced with my dad to "Daddy's Little Girl" The song made dad cry the first time he heard it and that's what I was going for again, but dad kept talking over it so he wouldn't until the very end, then it got to him! I love my daddy, and I truly am daddy's little girl.


Dad talking over the music so emotions wouldn't get in the way...


But it didn't work... tender moment with my dad. I loved every minute!

Daddy's little girl





I was also excited to have many of my single lady friends there from my old ward to have a little match at who could catch my bouquet... if you watch our video it's pretty funny-- it was a close call between Emily, and Heidi, but Heidi had the height going for her and caught it by a finger!











The sought after bouquet... Congrats Heidi! When is the big day??


Then Luke got the part he had been waiting for all day--grabbing the garter off my leg with his teeth! He lined up his single brothers and a few others from the crowd and tossed it off to be caught by my little cousin Joseph.






As the night continued we danced and sang with special people, and took about a thousand pictures..... 

Me & Stacy my new sister-in-law dancing to "Wipe Out"


Joseph is my little buddy--his birthday is the day after mine and he loves me! He was disappointed this year when I didn't come visit him as we had planned for the big days, but when he was told he would get to come see my wedding later in the year the thought of missing his birthday was gone! He asked me to dance with him early in the evening before my dance card was full!

My Uncle Wes and Aunt Donna came all the way from Ohio for the wedding! They are a fun couple and we were so excited to have them share in our big day with us! Uncle Wes needed a slot on my dance card as well
Luke danced with his new mother in law as I was dancing with my daddy


But, before we could escape... I had to eat Something!!

...and then ran off like in a fairy tale into Happily Ever After-- this time with the horses being under the hood of Luke's Trans Am...




...and rode off into the sunset....


As we drove away the same song came back to me--Dad, this could be the best day of my life, I've been dreamin' day and night 'bout bein' like you... Now it's me and her (him) watchin' you and Mom I've learned I'm the luckiest (wo)man alive... This is the best day of my life...




I present to you the happy couple, Mr & Mrs Rasmussen!!







3 comments:

Theresa said...

ahhh congratulations Kelly! Dan didn't do the garter with teeth thing,.. Both my dad and Dan luckily were against it haha so ours was of course less riske. :) I love the dialog about all the things you did,.. I was reminiscing about my own day as you walked me through yours. Too bad I can't write things out the way you do or I'd have our day written out similarly. :) again! congratulations!

Jill said...

I love it! My favorite has to be the daddy/daughter part! And you look beautiful, I love how your complete happiness just radiates, congrats!

Andrea said...

You were such a beautiful bride!! The joy and happiness that you were feeling that day radiated to everyone around you that day! I wish I could have stayed longer at the reception cause it looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I love you lady and am so happy for you my dear!!