I have had a bit of bad luck lately with electronics. Some of you may have read my birthday post about our digital camera failing at the moment we needed it. This is my third digital camera in three years. We called Kodak whose customer support determined that after a month of using it the mother board had fried (for no reason) and it would have to be replaced...I am beginning to wonder why I dont just stick with film cameras...
Yesterday I turned on my mac book and none of my files were there. I had no music in my iTunes, no photo booth pictures, no files saved anywhere (my talks/lessons for church, silly poems I have written, my portfolio and resume...all gone...) and worst of all no pictures in my iPhotos-- this includes all our pictures from our open house here in Utah and our honeymoon--our whole first year stuff together. EVERYTHING was gone.
Let's not forget the cell phone I had to replace last week. For no reason with a fully charged battery the thing would shut itself off--in the middle of a call, of a text, taking a picture it didn't matter. Luckily T-Mobile was more than friendly about replacing it and luckily that was under warranty...
Then the digital converter boxes for TV. Does anybody really know what the point of that was? I think I was the last person on the planet to use my coupons and get them. I bought two--one for our room and one for the living room. The one in the living room works. The one in the bedroom...not so much. All it does it produce static on our screen. We changed cords, unplugged it and didn't have the problem without it, but once it's plugged in all you get is static. We changed it to the living room to see if it was the box, and it was. Guess what? Target wouldn't let us return it.
I will be the first person to say I love the convenience that modern technology brings, but seriously?? How is it that one wrong click of a mouse can make you loose everything sentimental? How is that a camera can be fried after one month causing you to lose everything? How is it that when you buy something that is supposed to streamline your life and make it easier it only causes more headaches?? At this point I am wondering why we didn't just stick with handwritten letters and film cameras, regular TV, etc... You don't have to back those up to an external hard drive or worry about a crash losing everything. You wouldn't be in the middle of a power outage and have to start a letter or paper over because it wasn't saved. Why did we push for digital??
--Frustrated with Technology
4 comments:
This is one of the reasons that I recently printed a humungo batch of pictures from the past 5 years of our lives since we've never printed a single picture. I know we've already lost some of our pics from that time period of our lives. I keep all of my pictures on an external harddrive so they're not dependent on a motherboard or anything like that. however I'm still paranoid that someday it's all going to be gone with the harddrive one day fails. Anyway,.. I'm glad I didn't spare the expense of printing 5 years worth of pictures even if it was against my better judgement and from now on I plan to periodically print our pictures so that it never costs so much at one time again. Is that a new years resolution? maybe. lol.
Have an appt with the mac genius to get my computer fixed this weekend at least...now the phone is acting up again...
Cameras are very delicate, I've heard just about everything when it comes to those, motherboards fried because they left the camera in the car, the dew in the morning caused condensation on the motherboard, when the client turned it on it fried. I just recently replaced my camera, accidentally dropped it while unloading the car. I'll have to admit though I wish that I had a digital camera, when I was on my mission. I dreaded the days of film, what did I take pictures of and do I want doubles? With digital I can pick and chose what I want, and the prices per print is very low. It's like 15 cents a print at Sams Club for 4x6.
I completely understand about the computer wiping out, it's very hard to lose stuff and not have a backup, I was in school and lost all of my work just two weeks before finals. Oh that was bad. Macs have a time machine function, if it was turned on you maybe lucky. I recommend a backup device for everyone, money well spent. Who wants to do genealogy and lose their stuff over and over?
Well hope everything gets better from here!
Never heard what became of your Mac Meeting with the "Apple Genius"
Post a Comment