Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big Week

Luke and I were excited to spend our first Valentine's Day as a married couple! We started celebrating on Thursday as we completed a secret shopping assignment at the Cheesecake Factory. The food and service were not impressive, but the company was! Valentine's morning he presented me with a bouquet of roses and carnations (which turned out to be the same arrangement that both his mom and sister-in-law received! These Rasmussen men think alike!) and I went the unromantic route and gave him the newest Terminator movie he has been wanting. Why is Valentine's day such a hard one to buy for men? They have it easy--flowers, chocolates and jewelry--straight to our hearts. We women don't have it so easy!

I was a little bummed that day as it was Leslie's farewell in Vegas and we were not able to make it. We decided to spend the day with family and went to church with his parents. I did tear up in sacrament meeting when we sang "Lord, I would Follow Thee" as I thought of Leslie being a missionary. That night we had a steak dinner at their house and watched movies as a family.

Monday evening my family arrived on the long awaited journey to take Leslie to the MTC. We all met for dinner at Texas Roadhouse to celebrate Melissa's landmark birthday, and to enjoy some last moments together before Leslie left. We were sad Lauren an Garn couldn't be with us!

Luckily, Luke and I both had the day off Tuesday for final farewells. We started the day at our second baby doctor appointment where we found out that so far everything in normal, and that I am now in my second trimester. We got to hear the heart beat and I was so emotional that I cried! A few more weeks and we will know if it is a boy or a girl! Stay Tuned...

After that good news we went downtown and met my family at the Salt Lake temple. This was Luke, Leslie and Justin's first experiences with a live session. I hadn't been since right before I entered the MTC (6 1/2 years ago!) it was a great experience for all of us. We left the temple on a spiritual high.

Luke and I continued our good day by having lunch at the Garden in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, and then on to another mystery shop. This time we got to go to a jewelry store and pretend we were shopping for engagement rings! While downtown we dropped by the Apple store and the genius there was able to help me recover all my lost files! All of my pictures, iTunes, files--everything is back! I admit--this time it was due to operator error. I had tried to change the name of the computer and it broke all the links to those items. The genius was able to restore the name and repair the links. He was so nice as to even replace my keyboard cover since it was cracked--for FREE!

While the repairs we being done on Macky, we wandered down to Game Stop to look for some used video games. Luke inquired about guitars for guitar hero and the employee said they no longer did exchanges, but that a customer had gotten mad at him a few weeks ago and left two outside the store. They brought them in thinking he would come back, but the guy never did. The guitars had not been tested to see if they worked, but he gave both of them to us for FREE! We took them home and cleaned them up that night and both work great. Score!

To continue our great day, we were invited to Aunt Marilyn's house in Provo for dinner. Mom, dad, Leslie and Justin we staying with her and it was one last chance to be together. After dinner we played Apples to Apples and had some good laughs. Then the time came to say good bye to Leslie. I can't believe the day came so fast! I know she will be a great missionary and touch the lives of many. I am so excited to hear her stories and adventures as she goes to Illinois. It was weird to think that when I go home next time she won't be there! Mom and dad are empty nesters now.

No comments: