Monday, August 11, 2008

Leaving Las Vegas...

… When I decide to do something, it seems to happen fast...As mentioned in an entry earlier I have been thinking about moving to Utah for a long time. While we were up for Aunt Ruth's funeral a few weeks back, we went to Holly’s BYU singles ward with her, and during the meeting I felt the spirit so strong that that is where I needed to be. I have had the itch for change for a while, I just didn’t know what needed to change. I had an offer from Kori, my old counselor to move in with her in her new house, which would be totally fun, but I didn’t feel that would quite satisfy the itch. So when we got home from the funeral, I started applying for jobs not really thinking much of it. 

 Last Friday I received a call from Roger Moore at Phonex—a telecommunications company in Murray, Utah. He gave me a brief phone screening and then asked if I could do an interview. I was so excited so I set it up for the following Friday and went to work. That same weekend I was sick as a dog that has eaten chocolate!! I think I got food poisoning at work, so I left early and spent the rest of the weekend on the bathroom floor. Because of this I didn’t know how I was going to get out of work and get to Salt Lake for the interview. I stressed about it for awhile, but I had decided I couldn’t call in sick after just having been really sick, I had already played the funeral card two weeks earlier, and I have no vacation or personal time left. Then I remembered we had two big events on Thursday—a breakfast meeting that I would be going in early for, and a dinner event that would require me to be there until 9 pm. After a 14 hour day-- salary or not-- I deserve a break! Once I realized this; I thought since I want to go to Utah I should try and set up a campus tour at the University of Utah since that is where I am looking to go for grad school. They were very accommodating and offered me not only a tour, but also time with an admissions specialist, a counselor, and a current student. Basically a one-person orientation! I was very excited. So, I went to talk to my boss on Tuesday, and told her since we’re working 14 hours on Thursday I would like to have Friday off to attend a prospective MBA student orientation—I just didn’t tell her where. She is very pro-women’s rights and education so she was excited and granted me my day. I felt good about it because I didn’t lie and she would already know I was not going to be there on Friday. So with that out of my way I scheduled my flight for Friday morning. I decided after working a 14-hour day I didn’t want to drive another 6 for the interview.

Friday morning I arrived at the airport and due to a power outage the night before the conveyor belt that sorts the luggage was broken and they had to sort all luggage by hand. This caused all kinds of delays, and my flight was no exception. The airport was also running on higher security than normal and the plane had to do extra security inspections. Our flight was scheduled for 622 am, and at 750; as I was taking off on a different flight; that plane was still not boarding!! I was glad I changed flights! This delay threw everything off schedule. I called Roger and he was understanding. I finally got the office at noon when I had scheduled originally for 930!! The interview lasted THREE HOURS!! I met everyone in the company and they even took me to lunch. When I sat down with Roger in the end, he offered me the job on the spot!!

Because of the delay, I didn’t get to tour campus as I wanted, but looks like I will be moving a lot sooner than planned as well! That night I stayed with sister Mellen my old companion. It was great to see her after so long. We had a girly night and went to see the traveling pants movie. The next days she had to work early so I was off driving around looking for apartments on my way to Melissa’s. I found ones I really liked, but didn’t think I could afford them. Later Melissa found a special on KSL.Com for the ones I really liked--- $99 deposit and first month’s rent FREE!!! I went to see it and things just fell into place—in the half hour before I drove to the airport I stopped by, toured, fell in love and I signed the lease!! I can move in in TWO WEEKS!! The apartment is tiny, and I will be alone, but I am excited!! It is in Sandy, Utah and right on a golf course. The complex has a 24 hour fitness and laundry center, a tanning bed, and a community theater that shows family movies twice a week! As well as two pools, a park and the golf course right behind us! I have been truly blessed the way things have worked out. They just fell in my lap and into place! I am VERY excited for this opportunity to be on my own and experience new things. Now I just have to tell my boss... 

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Kel I'm so excited for you! yay! course you won't be in provo,.. but how exciting! :) and the U of U will be a great school. true,.. it's not blue, but I've never had anything against the u of u,.. just the fans that are die hard against byu that never even went to the u,.. hahaha. I think you'll really love it! fun fun! and,.. i think there are many cute worthy of you guys that go there so wahoo!