Sunday, September 14, 2008

Conference and Buffalo


Today was amazing! We had a regional conference held in the conference center under the direction of the First Presidency! WOW!! How often do you get that opportunity? I was able to go with a few friends I have made here and we were all in awe. President Hinckley's son spoke first and shared a memory of his father last fall when he was sealing the 24th of his 25 grandchildren in the Salt Lake temple. He said he had just realized not only had he sealed all of his 5 children, but now 24 of their children as well, and how in his 97 years that was the greatest thing he had ever done. We also were blessed to have President Monson address us. He was funny too sharing memories of President Hinckley and Faust. He said one time during a conference he was conducting President Hinckley leaned over to him and whispered "Tom, if I start to doze will you just nudge me?"   and President Faust echoed that plea. He said well, during the meeting I looked over to see both of them dozing, and wondered how do you wake the president of the church when dozing in a meeting? so to solve the problem I tapped him and said, "President" while pointing to President Faust-- President Hinckley in turn elbowed Faust in the ribs and said "Jim, Jim-- wake up!" ha ha I love hearing stories from these great men!  it was an amazing conference and all three of us were glad to be in attendance. I hope I don't come to take that for granted being so close to events like this. I am so glad to have the knowledge that I do of this great church and the testimony that these leaders are called of a loving Heavenly Father. 

There were 72 stakes involved in the conference. That's probably more than there are in the whole state of Nevada! Since so many were involved we had to park quite a ways from the conference center. We were actually up by the Capital building (how have I never been there in all my Utah excursions?) As we were walking down to the center we saw these randomly placed Buffalo along the path, and they totally reminded me of North Dakota! My friend Liz is from the Dakota's so she understood my need for a picture!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had to park far away too. Try hiking that in heels. ugh! But it was well worth it and I laughed so hard with that story.