Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Asher and Monsters

A few weeks ago I had Melissa and the kids over for dinner, and as usual Asher wouldn't eat a thing. So I told her if she didn't eat her dinner not only would she not get the candy I promised her, but that the monster would come out of my laundry room as well. All you moms are probably freaking out on me right now--yelling at your screen that is not something you say to a 3 year old! Well, I don't have kids, but I am learning my lesson. Asher did eat her dinner that night, got her candy and the monster didn't come out, but every time a floor board squeaked or there was a noise she didn't recognize she thought the monster was going to get her. I guess I am naive when it comes to kids because I thought she would forget it by the time she got home. Boy was I wrong! Melissa called me a few WEEKS later to thank me again for my monster comments. Apparently Asher had cried when going to bed the night before that the monster at Kelwy's house was going to get her. So, every time she has seen me since she has asked about the monster at my house. When we went to the Scarecrow Festival a week later, Asher freaked out about some of the kids dressed in costumes because they looked like monsters. She then had to tell me again that there was a monster at my house. I was actually excited because this was my chance to make it up to her so I told her the monster ran away from home. Never have I seen her so excited over monsters! She gave me a great big hug and ran over to tell Melissa "Mommy! The monster at Kelwy's house ran away! He won't get me no more!" Now Melissa gets to hear that every day. This past weekend mom and dad were in town and asked if they could have dinner at my house so I invited Melissa and the kids and made it a big party. As soon as Asher got there what did she ask about? You guessed it--my monster! This time I showed her the laundry room so she would know he really was "gone" and she asked where he went. So I said "he left on vacation so he wouldn't scare you any more!" All during dinner she asked where the monster went on vacation and if he was coming back. She got a little nervous to use the bathroom because she thought the monster was hiding in there, but I reminded her he went away. As she was leaving that night she gave me a hug and said "Kelwy I glad the monster went away. He didn't want to scare me huh!" There is the old addage that kids say the darndest things--so true in the case of Asher. I would love to spend a day in her mind to see how she thinks.

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

Do you remember when I spent the night at your house when Lauren was like five or six, and I scared the crap out of her by reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark"? I still feel guilty about that! Ask Lauren if she's still scared of the bathroom mirror.