Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wisdom Teeth Woes

A few weeks ago Luke an I went to the dentist. I am one of those odd people who LOVES the dentist. I had braces for way too many years not to take care of my teeth now! My husband, on the other hand, dreads the dentist. But, I made him go--our insurance covers it so why not have our semi-annual cleanings? Well, the good news is I can still claim my record of never having a single cavity, and all the weird stuff I had done while still wearing braces is good. Luke, however, was not as lucky. He still has his wisdom teeth, which broke a crown as they are starting to press forward. So the doctor recommended getting them out before getting the crown replaced. I was excited--does that make me an awful wife to say I was excited to see my husband go under surgery? I was just excited to see what he would be like under the drugs! Well, the day of the surgery came and the Luke was a nervous wreck--even had a dream he died the night before. The doctor was running over an hour late which didn't help calm his nerves either. Two and a half hours later I was able to go in and see him, and I was disappointed--this office allows their patients to wake up from the drugs before letting the family see them so all the funny situations I had imagined didn't happen. I walked in the room and the nurse was placing new cotton in his mouth and he was very awake--even shot me a dirty look and said "You did this to me!" lol After the surgery he was doing well enough that he even went to the grocery store with me to pick out things he would be able to eat the next couple of days. Since he still had the cotton in his mouth he was signing to me which got us a lot of weird looks from people, but we were having fun! All in all he did pretty well--only took one pain pill, was only swollen for a day and only on one side of his mouth, and no bruising! I guess I am going to come up with some other evil plan to see him act goofy!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

lol! :) well hope you don't have to go through real surgery....Recovery is not fun for a grown man,.. kids take things a little bit better in stride I think. Men are set in their ways and don't handle feeling like crap as well I think. Even if it is fun to see how they come out of the anesthesia,...nursing them back through pain meds and things is not fun,...especially when it feels like you got shot in the left 4 hours after surgery when the nerve block wears off and the doctor doesn't get back to you for 3 hours to tell you you can up the pain medication dosage until the initial shock wears off etc. etc. etc. Hopefully Luke doesn't have to go through anything like that. It's not fun and it's all I could do to not go crazy trying to take care of him without letting him OD on his drugs and have to watch him suffer through the pain for the first 3 hours after the nerve block wore off... it was not fun. Goodluck. :)

Theresa said...

that should say shot in the leg,.. not shot in the left.