Monday, December 15, 2008

Meeting the family

This was a big weekend for me! Last week Luke worked a lot, and we didn't see each other much. He was supposed to make me dinner Saturday night, but got called in so we decided instead to have brunch Saturday morning. He came over and we made eggs and bacon and french toast. After breakfast we enjoyed the snow falling as we drank hot chocolate and listened to Christmas music. It was the perfect setting for the "L" word to be dropped...which it was :)

Sunday was an adventure as well, as it was time to meet the family. We went to a stake choir event first to hear his mom perform. We were a little late--OK, a LOT late and actually missed her group, but were able to hear several others and join in the Hallelujah chorus at the end. His family lives right next to the stake center so we walked over for dinner and they were all waiting to greet me at the door! He has been wanting me to meet the family since the first week we started dating, and I have been hesitant. I have never done well with my boyfriends moms--they have never thought I was good enough for their sons or something so I was really nervous, but we walked in and I was greeted with a hug and a huge grin from Jolene. We sat down to eat and the two brothers there drilled me with questions--the usual, where I am from, what I am doing in Utah and with my life--it almost felt like being on the mission again except without a female companion! We swaped mission stories and told some adventures, and then it was his dad's turn. He asked me about work, and my plans for school and my family and then proceeded to tell me all the travel adventures he has had--and there have been quite a few! After dinner, Jolene took me down to the basement--they just redid it as their Christmas present with new carpet, paint and a new couch and TV. Jolene does hair for an older clientel so she took me into her workroom and was very excited since she used to sell Mary Kay and I just started. We found we have quite a bit in common!

After spending time there, we went next door to Luke's brother and sister-in-laws house so I could meet her and the kids. Stacy is my age and was very excited to have me there-- we are even going on a double date with them this week! We hit it off and her kids are adorable! We went back over to say good night to the parents and his dad gave me a hug this time as well and told me to come back soon. Overall I would say that's a good sign!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Goodness gracious,.. he sounds like he's already decided on you but he's just letting you figure that out,.. haha. meeting the family already huh? so was it like a "big" step? or was it just casual and normal? When I met dan's dad he was just in for a business trip and it was just dinner with him and the grandparents so it never felt like a huge deal, although i could tell Dan wanted me to impress them so it was a bit of a big deal to him,.. I just mean it didn't feel like a big deal when it was happening, but I remember a serious conversation beforehand about meeting his dad and then one afterwards in which Dan laid out the rules about if we ever got married we were having animals,.. hahaha. ok ok. memory lane,.. I'm back.

Anonymous said...

amazing!!!! Im glad iy went well =)

Andrea said...

WOW!!! That is soo exciting Kell!! I am so glad that meeting the family went well!! Everything seems to be working out for you honey!! :) I will be waiting for the calling telling me ur engaged!! ;)

Karissa said...

Really? The "L" word? IMPRESSIVE! I'm so happy for you!!!!