Monday, June 30, 2008

Curves results are in!!

I am a lazy person by nature. I have never been very motivated to exercise. I hate people watching me-- I think that comes from one of my earliest childhood memories in gymnastics class.  You know the kid that everyone thinks is so cute because they have the cutest cheeks to pinch? Yup--that was me--chubby cheek girl. One day in class we were doing a routine where you had to run up to a stack of mats and then lift yourself over. I watched everyone else make it look so easy, and my turn came. I ran down to the mats, and went to lift... only to fall face first into the mats! I was embarrassed and never went back.  

Before my mission I had good intentions of exercising. I bought a year long gym membership at 24 hour fitness. I spent a lot of money and at first made it worth it. I was going 4-5 times a week, but then got too tired to get up in the mornings, and just knew if i went at night that I would be too tired and sore to get up the next day... Laziness kicked in. 

This year as a New Year's Resolution I decided this was my year to be better--as everyone does at the start of a new year! Leslie and I started a kickboxing class at the rec center behind our house. I had her to help motivate me and I felt better, (not to mention it was another thing on my list of things to do before I die!) but even this has kinda died off after six months...

BUT.... Mom and I recently joined Curves (a gym just for women!) as part of a fitness study. The deal was to go 3 times a week for 4 weeks to an all women's gym with no mirrors or windows--no intimidation factor that people are staring at you. There are women from all walks of life--from the 18 year old that just graduated high school, to the 88 year old--who might not always remember our names, but talks to us like she has known us forever!  It still isn't always easy to get up, but mom and I have helped to motivate each other, and the study went by fast-- I lost 10 inches from all over my body in a month just from working out and not even changing my diet!! I feel better about myself, and that definitely makes it easier to get up and go. The success I have seen will (hopefully) be a motivating factor to keep me going, but for now I am Curves newest cheerleader!!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I am so happy that you are going with me. It definetly makes it easier to go with a buddy!

Keli said...

How exciting for you!! Curves is good I hear... So I finally got you added to my blog... It's about time huh... You page looks great...

Melissa said...

That is great Kel! Having a partner definitely makes it easier to exercise!

Kim said...

Good for you! I did curves for a while...but I don't think it was for me. I did it when I had just Jaden and they don't offer babysitting so it was a bit hard to work it around Justin's crazy schedule.

Andrea said...

yay for you!!! that is so super exciting! Love ya!

familyof4 said...

That's awesome! Congrats on your success!
Kara